Richard Rorty: “Just as poetry in English is a conversation between Chaucer, Shakespeare, Milton, Wordsworth, Yeats, and the rest, so philosophy in the West is a conversation between Parmenides, Plato, Augustine, Hume, Hegel, Heidegger, Wittgenstein, and the rest. To be a philosopher in our part of the world is to get in on that conversation.”
It is apt what John Gray says: "other animals do not neeed a purpose in life. A contradiction to itself, the human animal cannot do without one. Can we not think of the aim of life as being simply to see?"
Steve Pyke has been seeing and photographing philosphers since 1991, adding up to over two hundred portraits. I love the privileged look we get, when usually philosphers are thought of without a face, just as ideas. The series presents each person with a quotation about why they became a philosopher. When I read some of these I felt a connection to these people, they were relatable.
No comments:
Post a Comment