Thursday, March 20

My Very Own Zine


Being technologically challenged, I have never attempted to create my own website, let alone my own zine. But being a student of journalism, I have visited many.

My first venture into the world of zines occurred last year. I attended "Canzine" at the Gladstone hotel, where most of the zines in Toronto were on display. Along with all of the free merchandise I required, I also got a sense of what a zines are about. They're small, independent publications that are more art than mass media.

If I were to create my own web zine, it would take me a while to come up with a focus. I think that most people who create zines have a passion for a particular subject and use their zine as an outlet for that passion. For me, my passion is writing, but would anyone really want to read a zine about writing? Possibly...

So going another route may be a better choice. I would actually love to create a zine about folk music. Being my favourite type of music, mostly mellow, girl music. I have already taken any opportunity I had to interview some of my favourite artists for local online magazines. To date, my favourite interview has been with Jose Vanders, a British 18 year old who's just breaking into the music business. A publication that allowed me to interview, profile, and review (any form of contact really) folk artists would be awesome.

I suppose the site should have a Toronto focus, letting readers know who's knew, where shows are and important details like that. It could serve as anchor for the folk community (huge aspirations, I know). Being online, it could feature the artists' music and link to their MySpace pages.

A title for this publication would take some extensive thought, but here are some possibilities: "Yellow" (referencing 'mellow yellow' of course), "Mea Culpa" (Latin for "my fault," but also one of my favourite songs from folk artist Polly Paulusma), "I Feel the Earth Move" (Carole King), or "Lore" (coming from folk lore).

So, this is the plan. Create an online magazine that is all about folk music. Specifically folk music in Toronto. Feature new artists, and then these artists will become loyal to the magazine. From there I will be in the inner circle of the folk music scene, and my contact book will flourish. Finally, I will live a life of luxury, attending concerts every night, becoming mellower by the day.

1 comment:

ChuckD said...

Hey Michelle,

After reading this post I decided to check out Jose Vanders and Polly Paulusma's myspace page. Their stuff is awesome! I am going to head over to HMV later this week and try and grab some of it, I wonder if they are big enough to have their CDs sold there?

Ps. I think Yellow is the best title for your publication.. I'll keep my eyes peeled for it.