Nothing makes me sweet for summer like a list of books. My favourite thing to do is blend up a smoothie or an iced coffee, sit in the sun (usually move to the shade shortly thereafter), and make my way through a summer read. Since this is my first summer with a full-time job I've been reading a lot slower than usual, but it is wonderful nonetheless.
I'm currently on the last bit of "The Forgotten Garden" by Kate Morton. What a beautiful novel. I read it every night before bed and get caught in the walls of the title's garden maze in my heat-induced dreams. It is filled with a secret that spans generations of women in one family. Much like the garden maze in the novel, you know pretty well what lies at the end of the maze of secrets, but the windy road it takes to get there is lovely.
My list is all fiction this year. I was contemplating going through the major works of the Frankfurt School, but I think it is best to save that for a time when I can give it more attention. So summer, I now state my intentions for you:
- "An American Tragedy" by Theodore Dreiser
- "The Adventure of Augie March" by Saul Bellow
- "The Waves" by Virginia Woolf
- "An Object of Beauty" by Steve Martin

2 comments:
It's silly, but I love the cover for "An object of Beauty" and it makes me want to read it even more. Let me know how it is!
The cover is why I bought it in the first place! It's beautiful. I'll report back once I'm done!
Post a Comment