Wednesday, October 28

Back to Being a Plain, Old Student

Lately when talking to friends I've realized something strange: I forgot I was a student. This may sound weird, but it's really true. I think I was trying to be too many things at once, and trying to do too many things at once. I was going to school full time, working in retail, working as a writing intern, and freelancing on the side.

Last week I went to LG Fashion Week and while doing the social once over between shows I was faced with some tough questions. I didn't know what to tell people when they asked me what I do.

I write. I'm a writer. Well, I guess I'm still in school. No, not for journalism, I dropped out of J-school. Why? Well, good question. I'm in Arts and Contemporary Studies now. What does that mean? Good question.

What I came to realize is that I was trying to be too many things at once, which tends to lead to doing things at a sub-par level. My school work was suffering because I would forget that I should be doing readings on a regular basis. My articles were not getting enough interviews and I ended up quitting my retail job out of complete exhaustion.

And I promised everyone I could handle it at the end of the summer.

A few days ago I also resigned as an intern at Remote Stylist, which was a very difficult thing to do. It was an amazing opportunity, but I was afraid that if I continued I was only going to burn bridges because of my identity crisis. Death by good question. One of the last articles I submitted there came out today, and made me realize once again that it was a worthwhile experience.

So now what is left for me? I quit my job, my internship, but not writing altogether. I'm back to being a student, and I know what arts students do best: they write crappy, emotional fiction. It's time to join them!

No comments: