Thursday, September 10

Groundhog Day


Textbooks, 5-subject notebooks and highlighters have invaded my life. It's the first week back to school and it's the weirdest one yet. I'm in my fourth (and not last) year of school, yet I'm experiencing first year all over again.

I'm a transfer student. Which means my Journalism credits transferred, but I have to go back and take all the required courses for my new program, Arts and Contemporary Studies. This translates into courses about the library, how to write an essay, the problems of polling - these are the problems of my life.

The first classes consist of lectures on not talking in class, how to use your email and teenagers desperately trying to make friends. In my first class this week I had to rush out of the room to take a conference call for Remote Stylist , with the eyes of all the freshman on me. The professor had just ingrained in us that we are not to use our phones during class, that we can wait to call back our mothers when lecture is done. Oops.

Not that there aren't any perks this semester. There definitely are some. I have a lecture in the AMC movie theatre. Those plush chairs will brighten my 8am fill of first years.

Hopefully the idealism and drive that surround me this semester will rub off. Here's to hoping.

1 comment:

Carly said...

Me too! Argggh to being the new kid. I absolutely hate asking people where things are on campus! At least you're spared that humiliation.