Tuesday, August 17

Birthday Candles

It was my Mom's birthday this weekend and my family and I went to the Keg. We had a great time, with only one glass of wine each. When dinner was over the waitress came to our table with a piece of cake for the woman of the hour. For her, but we all helped her eat it after she blew out the candle.

The cake was mocha ice cream with almonds on top. When we were just about done my Mom looked a little uncomfortable.

"I don't know what I just ate," she said. "It wasn't sweet or salty, it tasted like wood."

My mother has a history of enduring things out of politeness. I knew she doesn't really like almonds, so I told her it must have been the topping. Our family friend Andrea did some detective work with the piece of cake and came up with a case of a missing candle.

My mother demurely pulled out the piece of wax from her mouth. She ate the entire candle.

No comments: