Monday, August 9

Love the Way You Lie - Not



I'm not sure how to start talking about this video. When I first watched it I just stared at the screen for a while, trying to form an opinion. The violence and situation seem real, yet I have this feeling that this might be the pregnancy pact all over again.

If an artist is going to tackle a topic like domestic violence - especially if that artist is Eminem and has been a perpetrator in the past - I think they have a responsibility to depict it a light that discourages it. I can understand the idea of communicating the wavering between passion and violence, but young people are watching this and wanting to have that passion. The danger is that someone is going to think that violence and passion go hand in hand.

It may be the influence of Role Models, but I feel like this video could have shown a much stronger woman. Why couldn't Megan Fox walk away so that this video could do some good? Or they could have pulled a Billy Talent and added the number of a helpline at the end of the video. I'm sorry Rihanna, but you disappoint me here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"I can understand the idea of communicating the wavering between passion and violence, but young people are watching this and wanting to have that passion. The danger is that someone is going to think that violence and passion go hand in hand."

Yes! I love how articulate you are. I completely agree, the media is so influential for many young people and if most of the images being depicted equate passion with violence there is going to be a problem with how people interact with each other in relationships. On top of that, I really have a problem with how the video glamourizes the victim of domestic abuse, it's hurtful not edgy.