Sunday, August 23

The Perks of the City



After a relaxing, yet tiring, two weeks of vacation in Nova Scotia I was ready for the perks of the city. I was going from camping to computing, from bug bites to sushi bites.

I took the 26 hour train trek with my lil bro Nathan, with a sleeper for 20 hours of the trip. There, we started to feel the pull of the city, with it's bouts of WiFi and the dining car.

We discovered more city fun on the train we boarded in Montreal. There were some real characters around us, like the ones you would find on the streets of Toronto. The 16 year old boy in front of us carried a dream book, citing the demise of humankind. His recently made pal beside him smelled like a homeless person. The woman across from us chugged juice-box wine at 10am. I started to feel at home.

When we finally arrived in Toronto, a little surprise waited for us. The city was buzzing on this Saturday night, until we arrived in my home, Cabbagetown. There was no electricity to be found. At all. The food in a my fridge was rotten. My cat was scared of my battery-lacking fire alarm and I wanted to go back to the country.

Cape Breton turned out to be a much safer place to live.

No comments: