
This summer's book club started out with great expectations. No, not the book. The actual expectations for the club. It was formed with three friends, myself included, in an attempt to make our way into the Canon. After a grueling Facebook private message, we devised a reading list. It was overwhelmingly masculine, but that's the Canon, right?
As with most things in life, it hasn't turned out as planned. Members were lost, regained, switched and burdened, all while turning a page. I like the non-regulated and low-expectation group it has turned into.
Gint and I - the main members - have discovered some great stories this summer. We've refused to age by reading a high school favourite, The Picture of Dorian Gray. Our path was lead from To The Lighthouse to Herzog. I took a detour with Wicked and Dracula. We are back together again with a professor-written book, Governor of the Northern Province, and have Kaitlyn joining us for On the Road - yes, I haven't read that.
With my head constantly in a book I could be missing out on the best things in life. But I see books as just that, and have great fun book shopping with like-minded nerdy friends.
Thanks Shayda for the awesome picture of my loves and I.
No comments:
Post a Comment