Monday, June 29

Wicked


Although I've never seen the musical, I've just finished the book Wicked. My friend Macey gave it to me for my birthday and at first I was a bit skeptical. But I trust her judgment, so I gave the magical book a chance.

It was awesome. Usually I don't tread far from Canonical texts, but this was a great detour. It adds layers of depth to the Wizard of Oz story and really humanizes the Wicked Witch of the West. Not only that, but it also delves into political, religious and racial themes in an entertaining way. If you want a more adult take on the beloved Judi Garland flick, definitely pick this book up.

I can't, though, see how someone read this book and decided that it should become a musical. I'm sure the musical was great, it's just that the book doesn't seem like it would lend well to that art form. I guess I'll just have to see the show the next time it's in town!

No comments: