Tuesday, May 26

Woodstock - All Bad News?

I'm from Woodstock, Ontario. And yes, you have heard of it. It's all over the news lately because of the murder of Tori Stafford.

While at work yesterday, a co-worker mentioned she had read about my town in the Toronto Star. I assumed it was about the Stafford case, but no. The article was about the Oxi-Contin use in Woodstock.

Here's a link to the article.

It starts like this: "Welcome to Woodstock. If the trains won't kill you the drugs will."

Are you serious? I know this is every journalists wet dream of a quotation, but it is seriously one-sided. The article goes on to talk of our Meth clinic and how prevalent Oxi-Contin use is in the small town.

Why does there have to be an upheaval of anything bad coming from Woodstock now that it is negatively in the limelight? Before this article I didn't know what Oxi-Contin was, nor have I done drugs. Or been close to being hit by a train. It's laughable.

Woodstock has one token homeless person, and he is fed well by Woodstonians. I loved growing up there amongst good-hearted people and local hangouts. It's hurtful to have my town picked apart and to be laughed at in Toronto for being from there.

Just to remind you Toronto, you currently have a 19 year old missing. I think this calls for a look at your cocaine habit.

No comments: