Monday, July 27

The Phenomenom Called Summer

For me, summer has always existed as a separate identity from the rest of the year. I can usually use only a few key words to evoke a certain sun-filled few months. Free movies, the core and tacos pretty much describes summer '08.

This year has been completely different. Maybe it is because it is still happening, but there doesn't seem to be an overriding theme to this year's summer fun. It could be the lack of sun, the lack of free time or the weighty idea that I'm getting too old for a careless summer, but this year seems like the end of an era.

I envy the people who forgo summer jobs to relax and go on vacation. I've been in constant resume building mode, which means between my internship and my job, I have to constantly be making new connections, keeping up good relationships with existing ones and working my hardest to show of what I am capable. Although, to be fair, I know many people who have a lot more on their plate than I do this summer. Which, again, lends to the idea that I am getting too old for summers spent by the pool, Popsicle in hand.

Perhaps my thinking will change after I take a much needed vacation to Nova Scotia next week with my family. I haven't been there in four years, and since I have half of my family there, that is a long time. I guess I will be eating my Popsicle by the lake instead.

No comments: