Although I try to be nice to the world around me, I still can do a lot more. Ali and I were upset when we realized that, although we both have travel mugs, we bought coffee today in paper cups. We couldn't even roll up the rim, it was a waste. I did, however, use a reusable bag at the grocery store today.
Here are the tips I liked the most from the show:
- Lighting accounts for 11% of our energy. If you switch to LED bulbs you can save $740 over the life of the bulb. I just wrote an article on a lamp that uses an LED bulb, so these can be much more stylish than the squiggly ones.
- Weather stripping lowers your utility bill (although my utilities are included in my rent) and helps the environment. Closing blinds in the summer also lowers the amount of air conditioning you need to use. These tips also help when you have creepers around your room like I do. Damn fire escape...
- Use reusable straws! They're made of steel! How awesome is that?
Apparently, being a student is good for the environment. I don't eat a lot of meat because of its expense and Oprah thinks this is a good idea. Even if going vegetarian is not something you want to do, we can all have Meatless Mondays.
When grocery shopping, shop the periphery, stay out of the middle. That's what I do for cost and health reasons, and apparently it's good for the environment. Don't eat anything that will never die.
I wrote an article on Sustainable Food Packaging last year, but I can't seem to find it on the internet. It was for my Online Journalism class and we made a website for it, but I'm guessing it was taken down. If anyone knows where to find it, let me know.
Here's a special Earth Day video for you:
And just remember, there is a garbage swirl the size of Texas in the Pacific Ocean. Eww.
No comments:
Post a Comment