You know you are a consumer when you dream about shopping. Yesterday I learned that as an Urban Outfitters employee I get a discount at Anthropologie. And it just so happens that Toronto just got one at Don Mills. Well, I guess I was really excited about it because I had a detailed dream about rushing to get to the new store to spend my hard earned cash.
When I was younger I got to a mall about twice a year. Other than that I ordered my clothes out of the Sears catalog. I guess this is why I can't seem to understand why some people in Toronto put such an emphasis on what they wear. Working at a clothing store I see it a lot and going to Ryerson University doesn't help. Girls show up to 8 a.m. classes in heels, guys wear tighter jeans than me and I continually show up in floral.
Local fashionistas are fine with me, it's just the people that think they are better than you because they can afford to buy the latest style of clothes. Is it really that important to have slouchy boyfriend jeans and ripped shorts? I tend to spend my money on books, except for yesterday. I used my discount at Urban to buy a backpack to carry my books. I find that important, but I don't look down on people who don't like to read. Similarly, I don't see how people who dress well can look down on those who don't.
I catch even the nicest people in Toronto pointing at tourists and making comments on their clothes that are "clearly a night out of the barn." I can be both of these people. I've probably been the victim of someone's elitist clothing joke and I have been the one making the joke.
I just know that when I woke up after that consumer-driven dream, all I wanted to do was listen to Taylor Swift, do some laundry and read a book.
No comments:
Post a Comment