A little tradition has started in my group of friends. Well, mostly between Gint, Kavi and I. When something bad happens to one of us it is "our day" and everyone pays him/her special attention. This started last summer with me. The two boys drove me around Toronto when I was sad and played video games with me all day. I had another day yesterday.
Gint has always been great at making me feel better. His stiff, assertive voice makes me laugh, and he likes to console me with movies and food. So we watched The Hours yesterday and ate junk food. It made me feel better.
I've realized lately how important the people I've met in University are to me. Living in Toronto, I don't have my family with me and I don't have the friends I've known my whole life. All I have are the people I've met recently. I've had to build a young family with these people and rely on them for so much of my happiness.
The whiteboard in my kitchen reads "Michelle and Kaitlyn R in Luv" right now, clearly in Gint's handwriting. It's funny because, minus the text message vernacular, that message relates to this idea of my new social network really well. Many of my friends in Toronto are from here and live with their families. They all tend to have gone to the same high school too. I think if I went to the Marshall McLuhan high school reunion for 1987 I would know most of the people there. Kaitlyn, however, is just like me. She came to Toronto knowing no one and now has a new family here. Her and I do most things together and share our daily stories. This may seem like we're in luv, but we just want a sense of normalcy.
I guess all I'm trying to say here is that I'm one lucky girl. I have a full life ahead of me, a great family, life-long friends, and a whole bunch of new friends that have become important in my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment